Fear and anxiety surrounding COVID-19 can be overwhelming and cause strong emotions in adults and children. Some people are scared to ask for help or are nervous to share their anxieties with friends and family. But there are people who want to help. One of our partners, Helio Health is dedicated to transforming the lives of those struggling with substance abuse and mental health disorders.
Helio Health’s approach is to treat the whole person, not just the symptoms of addiction and mental illness. This includes general healthcare, housing services, training and family support. With over thirteen locations in Syracuse, Rochester, Utica, and Binghamton Helio’s services range from short-term community residences (halfway houses), outpatient counseling, referrals and a host of clinical services for those living with substance use and mental health disorders.
Helio Health is a place for people to go if they need help with the impact of the recent pandemic. If a family member or loved one needs intervention, Helio Health offers a variety of services. They also provide support to assist family members who are living with and caring for individuals suffering from addiction and mental health issues.
COVID-19 has not stopped them from being available to their communities and giving back in any way that they can. During this public health crisis, Helio Health and its affiliates ; CNY Services and Insight House, have remained open and committed to serving Central New York. Helio Health and its affiliates are committed to serving their clients and staff in the safest way possible during this difficult time. All of the Helio Health locations are open and admitting patients while still observing local, state and federal guidelines.
Some of the guidelines Helio has implemented and are following include:
- Establishing a team of medical, nursing, clinical, counseling, legal, finance, communication, marketing, operations, information technology, health information technology, human resources, compliance, continuous quality improvement and behavioral health leadership to guide our responses. The team meets daily and produces guidance and process maps for the programs and to share with other organizations.
- Working with NYS and other officials to recommend policies and supports which help Helio serve the communities.
- Equipped all outpatient clinics to offer telehealth services for screenings, assessments, admissions, counseling (including group counseling), initial prescribing and medication refills.
- Established isolation protocols and locations in all residential and inpatient congregate sites to help reduce demand on emergency rooms.
- Implemented call-ahead, and at-the door screenings to reduce the risk of community spread.
- Eliminated visitation at inpatient and residential settings to protect everyone.
- Built increased telehealth capacity to be able to serve community needs in the face of the trauma caused by the loss of health, life, employment, wealth, and social norms.
- Staff is working around the clock to care for the mental health, substance use disorder, and housing needs of the communities.
These are just some of the precautions and protocols in place to make sure everyone is safe. Helio Health is celebrating 100 years of healing this year! Today, Helio Health represents one of the largest behavioral healthcare organizations in the region, annually serving over 10,000 individuals.
Want to help support Helio Health and their mission? This September, ICS is hosting a Charity Golf Tournament where the proceeds go to the Helio Health Foundation and The American Red Cross.
Register your team today for the tournament or become one of the sponsors!
To learn more about Helio Health visit https://www.helio.health/